Nectar’s mission is to help the beekeeping industry ensure honey bees health and secure our food supply. Using in-hive sensors and machine learning, we help beekeepers optimize their operations, while providing growers key measurements to realize the full impact of honey bee pollination on their crops.
About the job
As a software developer intern you will work on critical aspects of our platform which is dedicated to beekeepers. You will be led by our CTO and work closely with the rest of the team : engineers, data scientists and designers. It’s a unique opportunity to learn and work on projects that matter! Depending on your background and experience, you will be working in one of the following areas:
- Front-end development
- Backend / platform development
- Embedded Software / IoT development
- Data-science and machine-learning
In concrete terms, what does it look like?
As we are a recently funded start-up and still in its beginning, much remains to be done. In collaboration with the technical team, you will have the opportunity to take design decisions, and you will will have the right resources to do so. Furthermore, as bees are our first client, expect field visits. Nectar provides all the necessary equipment !
- Work on 1-2 long-term projects based on your background and your expertise.
- Work on several smaller projects based on your interest and Nectar’s product needs.
- For example : new features, monitoring, deployment and maintenance tools, performance optimization projects, data analysis and machine learning algorithms, etc.
- Contribute to technological choices and architecture design.
- Collaborate with developers, designers, researchers, and electrical engineers and actively participate in problem solving.
- Currently enrolled in a Bachelor's degree program in Computer Science, or a related technical field.
- Experience with Data Structures or Algorithms (i.e. completing a data structures or algorithms class, coursework, course projects, research, individual projects internships, or other practical experience inside or outside of school or work (including open source hobby coding)).
- Interest and ability to learn other coding languages as needed.
- Interest or knowledge of Python, the Django framework, SQL and no-SQL databases (e.g. PostgreSQL, MongoDB)
- Interest or knowledge of the following : web application development, Unix/Linux environments, mobile application development, distributed and parallel systems, machine learning, information retrieval, natural language processing, networking, developing large software systems.
- Autonomy, versatility and creativity
- Spoken and written communication skills
- Good level in French and English
- Sense of details and documentation
- Interest in sustainable development and agriculture